Monday 10 November 2014

What is a portrait?

Before I started art and design I thought a portrait was a straight forward painting or drawing of someones face and it had to look like the person you were drawing. When I took GCSE art, I studied portraits and the teachers were strict on me getting the proportions right, so it was drilled into my head that they have to look like the person.

After starting art and design, I have now realised that portraits can be very abstract and not have to look like the person you are drawing. Collage is a very interesting way of doing portraits because you could make an eye massive but have the rest of the face small and it could mean someone is good at finding things.

It is a very clever way of doing a representation of part of someones identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment